Saturday, February 13, 2010

Vidajaaladuraa

My thumb rule for tamil and hindi film songs is first impression rule. If the music or lyrics captivates me at the first instance, then I am hooked to that particular song to the extent that it becomes the suprabhaatam. Lately, mundhinam paarthen of vaaranam aayiram has joined this list.

However, the above rule certainly cannot be applied to carnatic music. There were certain raagas rather chauka kala krithis in particular raagam for which I never had the taste. However, I have realized that my taste has rather become inclusive and expanded owing to endless hours devoted to listening to great voices of the past. Listening naturally presents an easier and attractive option compared to practicing the fiddle for a lethargic person like me. Krithis in raagams like kanadaa, arabhi, sahaana, sri, naatai, ravichandrika, bahudari, natakurunji, madhyamavati, kadanakudukalam, reethigowla were instant hit with me. As I have grown up, I have come to appreciate and love raagams like devakanthari, begada, thodi, varaali, bhairavi, mukhaari to name a few.

I heard Tyagaraja’s krithi – vidajaaladuraa in janaranjani ragam rendered by T.M. Krishna (CD) around 28th January, 2010 and since then, this krithi has become the suprabhaatam. It proceeds at a softy level (owing krishna’s voice) but at the same time is lively, just like a flying butterfly or gliding butter. The accompanying violinist and mirdangist have added the right tadka given the correct mic setting.

Of the trinity, krithis composed by tyagaraja are akin to draksha fruit, gives instant taste and this particular krithi – vidajaaladuraa transports me to world of sheer bliss. I found tyagaraja’s krithis smarane sukha in the same raagam very much slow and dull; perhaps the saint was in too much contemplative mood.

In vidajaaladura, the saint conveys:

“Listen, Oh Raama! It is not possible for my mind to let go its hold on your holy feet, though it may be tossed about in a state of distress caused by entertaining unrealizable desires. Whatever tasks I might undertake, whatever unseeable sights I might see, I have regarded them all as yourself and felt delighted that I did so.”

Meaning courtesy - Spiritual Heritage of Tyagaraja – C. Ramanujachari

1 comment:

  1. You have named all my favorite ragams!
    Now I must go and look for this song sung by TM Krishna. It sounds lovely. I hope I Tunes has it.

    ReplyDelete