Tuesday, July 28, 2009

if i were a girl...

My mom often sighs, “if only were you a girl”. What could have been the consequences, I ponder, for my mom and me. I would have opted for science stream, done my computer engineering from one of many longada engineering colleges thriving in south india. And then would have swarmed to cts, infosys, wipro, tcs etc. And then the b(g)room hunt would begin, with me calling the shots: “professionally qualified and well settled smart looking boy following our culture and tradition with modern outlook, caring and humorous. Should be a B.E. and based in Karnataka/Tamilnadu or anywhere in abroad”. And then marriage shall follow and having insisted on foreign mappu, I shall join my husband there. And then, the inevitable happens; I am on my domestic way. And my mom joins the I.A.S. cadre! She would join me to take care of the infant and start her service as an indian aaya.

My mom often sighs, “if only were you a girl….I would get to see foreign.” Also she has reached this skewed opinion that girls take much better care of their parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment